
Last night, Kevin and I went to Tim's Rivershore II in Fairview Beach to celebrate a friend's birthday. I know it probably won't be our last "kid free" Saturday night, but I'm pretty confident it was the last time I'm going to feel like staying out past 8 p.m.

3 Comments:
Do your pelvic tilts!! Get that kid down! :-)
By
Cold Spaghetti, at Sunday, July 30, 2006 11:54:00 PM
Great suggestion! I'll add to the list of things we're trying - so far, we've walked, walked and walked more. I've also tried rocking side-to-side on my birthing ball (which is really just an exercise ball, but VERY comfortable). I'm tempted to get my breast pump out of the box, but I read that induction method isn't medically recommended. Oh yeah, and there's always that other way, but I can't exactly say I'm *in the mood*....
By
Amy Lee, at Monday, July 31, 2006 8:33:00 AM
As far as I know, the pump won't stimulate you for labor (it's not exactly a feel-good experience, particularly in the beginning) but can help with your milk production after the baby is born. I don't know anyone who hasn't struggled with nursing in the first month so in my book every little bit helps.
The (controversial) concern over nipple stimulation is that the purpose is to trigger production of oxytocin (the hormone that starts labor). This has been linked to slow, long contractions. It is controversial in part because sex is recommended and the two often go with the same territory. Also, providers don't have the same hestitation about dosing out pitocin (a synthetic form of oxytocin), which causes much stronger, unnatural contractions and is connected to a myriad of terrible complications and outcomes. Recommendations are sometimes fit more around concerns over malpractice than what is in the interest of mother and child (ie: a provider can control and monitor pitocin to cover their ass, even though it's much worse than natural oxytocin).
Do you know the lactation consultants in the hospital? Your life will be nothing but feeding every 2 hours for the next few months and it can be overwhelming, especially when there are challenges. I don't know anyone who hasn't needed help with this. Buddy them up and get their numbers on speed dial with okays to call them at 2am!
By
Cold Spaghetti, at Tuesday, August 01, 2006 9:57:00 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home